Church interior during mass

About

Saint Joseph’s of Spreckels Catholic Church

The history of St. Joseph’s Parish Spreckels begins in the late 1800′s. A community of people from Chicago moved to the Salinas Valley west of Spence. They were Catholics and called themselves the Saint Joseph Colony.

In 1898 they built themselves a church. A few years later the colony dispersed, the leaders returning to the Midwest and most of the others moving into Salinas. The church and the land it was on came into the possession of Sacred Heart Church in Salinas. That colony of people in their brief existence could not know that they had left a lasting memorial. They contributed the name to our parish [...] read more